Monday, April 17, 2006

Molly's Naming Ritual

Molly Shayne Naming Ritual
September 2, 2006

(post is dated weird so it'll fall to bottom of page)

Clear the space, sweeping with broom. Ask Mom’s blessing:

Mom, I’m here to bless and name my baby, your granddaughter. I ask your blessing on her, and ask your presence be with us tonight as I bless her in a sacred space that is between the worlds, in the timeless spaceless state that separates us. I ask you just to be here, and to see this love I have made, and to share her blessing with me.

Cast circle with broom or wand, three times around.

The circle is cast, we are between the worlds, in the presence of the sacred.

Call quarters/elements.

Hail to the guardians of the watchtowers of the East, powers of air, of lightness and new beginnings, of the Maiden and of youth, direction of the dawn, come and bless this circle.

Hail to the guardians of the watchtowers of the South, powers of fire, of heat and passion and will, of the Warrior and of courage, direction of the heated sun, come and bless this circle.

Hail to the guardians of the watchtowers of the West, powers of water, of cleansing and birth and the womb, of the Mother and of creation, direction of the setting sun, come and bless this circle.

Hail to the guardians of the watchtowers of the North, powers of Earth, of roots and home and growing, of the Crone and of wisdom, direction of the cool evening, come and bless this circle.


Invoke the Goddess.

Great Goddess All Mother, Source of All Life, I call on you as your daughters have called since the earth was young. I call on you, Lady of Many Names, with these words of power- I name thee Persephone, Demeter, Artemis, Innana, and Mary, the Queen of Heaven.

I call on you to witness the naming of this child, my daughter. I ask your blessing for her, and it is simply this- that she reach her potential. I ask that she be given the power to be a perfect expression of who she is fated to be, and in manifesting that she will be a glorious reflection of You.

Her name comes from beloved women. She is named for an artist of the earth who shapes beauty from clay. She is named the word that brought shared joy to my Mother and me. She is named for the dream her father and I shared, and she is named for him. She is named for beauty, and for a poem her mother fell in love with.: Shayne vie de Lavuna Lichtig vie de Shterin Funn himmel a matona ~ Beautiful like the Moon Bright as the stars from heaven a gift

Little child, my beloved daughter, you are the most beautiful gift in all of heaven and earth, and my gift to you is a name full of love and affection and beauty. I name you Molly Shayne. You are my darling. As I will so mote it be.


Present baby to each quarter, asking gifts for her.

Hail, East, powers of air, I present to you Molly Shayne, and ask that she be blessed with intellect and intuition.

Hail South, powers of fire, I present to you Molly Shayne, and ask that she be blessed with a strong will and passion.

Hail West, powers of water, I present to you Molly Shayne and ask that she be blessed with creativity and dreams.

Hail North, powers of earth, I present to you Molly Shayne, and ask that she be blessed with good health and a strong body.


Molly, I’m going to read you a prayer now for the first time, Mama’s favorite prayer, The Charge of the Goddess.

Listen to the words of the Great Mother, who of old was called Artemis, Innana, Demeter, Aphrodite, Cerridwen, Diana, Brigid and by many other names.
"Whenever you have a need of anything, once in the month, and better it be when the moon is full, you shall assemble in some secret place and adore the spirit of Me who am Queen of all Witches. You shall be free, and as a sign that you be truly free you shall be naked in your rites. Sing, feast, dance, make music and love, all in My presence, for Mine is the ecstasy of the spirit and the Mine also is joy on earth. For my law is love of unto all beings. Mine is the secret that opens upon the door of youth and Mine is the cup of wine of life that is the holy grail of immortality. I give thee knowledge of the spirit eternal and beyond death, I give peace and freedom and reunion with those that have gone before. Nor do I demand sacrifice, for behold, I am mother of all things, and My love is poured upon the earth."

Hear the words of the Star Goddess, the dust of whose feet are the hosts of heaven, whose body encircles the universe: "I who am the beauty of the green earth and the white moon among the stars and the mysteries of the waters, I call upon your soul- arise and come unto Me! For I am the soul of nature that gives life to the universe. From Me, all things proceed and unto Me they must return. Let my worship be in the heart that rejoices, for behold all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals."

Let there beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you. And you who seek to know Me, know that thy seeking and yearning will avail thee not, unless you know the Mystery; for if that which you seek, you find not within thee, you wilt never find it without. For behold, I have been with you from the beginning and I am that which is attained at the end of desire.

The Farewell
Blessed be, and praised, Great Mother Goddess. Thank you for this your gift and for witnessing her naming.

Blessed be, and celebrated, watchtowers of the elements and four sacred directions. Thank you air, fire, water, and earth each for the gifts you bring.

Open circle.

1 comment:

thordora said...

Sigh....sometimes I wish I believed enough to be a witch. It's so lovely.